While the world economy and markets are in turmoil, many are concerned about how this may affect their future. Besides, in a struggling economy, you can’t guarantee that the value of your hard-earned money will remain the same.
This is where precious metals step in – a smart, secure, and trusted investment option for decades. History has shown that investing in precious metals can shield you against financial uncertainty and economic downturn. This is precisely due to their track record of stable value growth combined with global appeal.
Now comes the decision to partner with a reliable precious metals investment company that can take you one step closer to a stable financial future. Colorado Gold is a trusted name in this category. This family business scores an A+ rating on BBB.
But is it the ideal investment partner for you? From my experience in the precious metals business of over two decades, I know it is important to look into a company's products, services, fees, and ratings before making a final choice. To help you through this inspection, this review will take you through all that Colorado Gold offers.
Colorado Gold: A Brief Overview
Based in Colorado, Colorado Gold was founded by Don, who retired in February 2015 after spending nearly 40 years in the precious metals industry. As a family business, the company is managed by Don’s children, Melissa, Morgen, and David.
What I found interesting about this family business, unlike others, is that the company's founder has remained active and connected to the company’s vision to date. Through his years of experience and knowledge of the precious metals industry, Don shares his insights and knowledge with customers through a dedicated column on the company website.
Moreover, Colorado Gold features a wide range of precious metals investment options like IRA-approved – and physical – bars and coins of gold, platinum, and silver. Precisely, they believe these assets are more reliable for investors looking to invest in a financially stable and secure future than rare collectibles.
The Best Gold IRA Companies in 2024
Before I get started with this review, I want to inform you that I have reviewed dozens of precious metal IRA companies over two decades, and I have curated a list of the top 6 gold IRA companies in 2024. I highly recommend reading this article before proceeding with an IRA transfer.
The #1 Best Gold IRA is Goldco, with its A+ rating from Better Business Bureau, thousands of 5-star reviews, and one of the highest buy-back guarantees. Read my review on Goldco, or visit the official Goldco website to learn more.
What Makes Colorado Gold Standout?
Considering my thorough research and track record, I found that Colorado Gold offers customers various investment options and services. This includes the option to invest in physical precious metals, transforming precious metals contract bars into smaller quantities, a buyback service, and much more. Despite that, Colorado’s service comes with its own set of limitations.
For instance, the company is not an IRA custodian. They don’t even deal with rare coins since they consider it a first-rate rip-off. According to the company, numismatic dealers and coin stores buy wholesale and sell retail, typically marking up their items by 30%-50% or more.
Here, it may seem like you get limited investment options. But considering my own experience in the industry, this perspective proves Colorado Gold’s commitment to providing the best products while charging the lowest possible fees. This is probably one of the primary reasons that has helped the company maintain its reputation for years.
Other than this limitation, Colorado Gold offers:
Massive Collection of Investment Options
With Colorado Gold, you can invest in a wide range of physical coins and bars in gold, silver, and platinum. While their website also has a section for palladium items, I found no product listed in that category.
However, what I did find interesting here was the dedicated section on their website of Colorado Gold’s special products and best sellers. Having spent years working in the precious metals industry, I believe this is a great resource for beginner investors to explore the best value assets available in their budget. At the time of writing, the special and best seller products available on their website include:
- Special Products
- 250 Gram Argor Heraeus Silver Bar
- 500 Gram Argor Heraeus Silver Bar
- Asahi Refining Silver Round
- JBR 100 OZ Silver Bar
- Best Sellers
- 2023 Gold Eagle Coin
- Valcambi 50 Gram Gold CombiBar
- JBR 100 OZ Silver Bar
- Royal Canadian Mint (RCM) 100 OZ Silver Bar
Purchase Precious Metals for an IRA Account
Colorado Gold also helps you invest in a precious metals IRA account. To begin, you must establish an account with an IRA custodian firm. The Colorado Gold staff will assist you in purchasing products that you desire to keep in your account.
After that, the company ships the order with an IRA-approved depository under the supervision of your chosen IRA custodian. Your assets will be stored in this depository until you can liquify them.
Colorado Gold lets you choose from the following IRA custodians:
- The Entrust Group
- New Direction Trust Company
- STRATA Trust Company
Here, it is worth noting that Colorado Gold doesn’t recommend any specific IRA custodian, nor do they advocate or are compensated by any of them. I’ve suggested these companies because Colorado Gold has worked with them over the years to help their customers open their IRA accounts.
So it is totally up to you which IRA custodian you want to proceed with. Considering this, I found Colorado Gold's honesty highly commendable in this regard.
Colorado Gold has got you covered in liquifying your precious metals. Amazingly, the company’s buyback policy applies to their own products as well as precious metals you buy from a different investment partner.
Over the years, most of the trusted investment partners I have invested in do not offer this service for assets bought from a different company. This makes Colorado Gold a go-to option for everyone that wants to sell their hallmarked precious metals at the current market rates. Apart from this, below are a few more considerations I came across when looking into Colorado Gold’s buyback service:
- The company charges a nominal 1% fee for buying assets that you bought from other companies.
- You will have to pay for the shipping/transport of the assets to send them to the company. If you opt for a wire transfer, you must also pay a $50 fee.
- Once you've placed an order to sell your metal, the company will lock your order. Hence, you must complete the transaction by mailing or transferring the metals to their depository. Since Colorado Gold sells these assets to their dealer, if you fail to deliver the assets, it will result in financial loss for the company. As a result, the company will take legal action against you to cover the loss.
- The company requires new customers to show the metals at the depository before finalizing the trade details.
- It is important to note that the metals received in poor shape or with damages are compensated by the company at a lesser price, based on what their dealer pays for purchasing them.
- The company’s website also mentions that a precious metals sale from anyone other than the original purchaser will be subject to a 0.5% commission.
- The company also charges a $25 service fee for sale orders that do not include a commission. This means that if you are the original metals purchaser, the commission will not apply to your order. You will instead be charged this $25 fee by the company for buying your assets.
Educational Resources and Tools
Another praiseworthy factor I encountered when going through Colorado Gold’s website was its educational resources. While the website isn’t fully packed with educational content, its resources and tools are straightforward to find.
Unlike most investing firms I've worked with over the years, this benefits novice and seasoned investors in evaluating what experts recommend. As a result, they can make informed investment decisions without spending hours going through every basic detail shared on the company’s website.
Here are the educational resources and tools I found on their website:
- Don’s Columns: Having more than 40 years of experience in the precious metals industry, Don may have retired from the company but not from being an expert. What does this mean? Precisely, Don, and sometimes even David, share their take and expertise on the industry with insightful columns every week. Don’s latest weekly columns can be found by clicking Don’s Column on the website. The best part? By clicking on Archives, you can access thousands of his previously published columns — ideal for beginners who want to learn more about a professional’s perspective on the precious metals industry.
- Technical Charts: Want to navigate through the price changes of precious metals? Colorado Gold’s website also features a dedicated section of technical charts. This section features technical charts signifying the price changes of the precious metals they offer. In each precious metals section, you can find 1, 2, 5, and 10 years technical charts.
- Additional Resources: To help you navigate the precious metals industry's do's and don'ts, Colorado Gold's website also features a section explaining the 'Anti-Money Laundering Policy' and 'Tax Questions,' briefly explained in a pdf file. Both of these can be found at the bottom of the website.
Precious Metals Shipping
Colorado Gold dispatches orders from a Bonded Insured vault in Las Vegas to ensure fast shipping of your assets. This means that unless you specify shipping through USPS Registered, all trades will be shipped using FedEx or UPS 2nd Day Air.
In contrast, if you opt for USPS Registered Mail for the delivery, you may face some challenges. Specifically, the company website mentions that orders sent via USPS Registered Mail will take substantially longer. Moreover, USPS tracking updates are sparse.
After working in the precious metals industry for over two decades, I suggest a faster and more secure delivery option. After all, the security of your purchased precious metals is paramount here.
How to Invest with Colorado Gold?
If the company's transparency, educational resources, variety of investment options, and appealing buyback policy aren't enough, they also feature a straightforward investment process. Yes, as amazed as I was to explore this, investing with Colorado Gold is quite simple. All you have to do is:
- Complete and return the client agreement shared on their website.
- Call their team and place your order once you have submitted your agreement and are ready to buy. It might be difficult to contact their team in this regard since each member of the family operating the company works from their home offices and in different locations. So as a small team working from different locations, they don’t offer after-hours assistance. This means that you can only contact them on their specific work timings.
- Once you place your order by connecting with Colorado Gold's team, they will provide you with a trade number to proceed with the investment.
- Next, you have to make your payment. The best part is that the price shown on their website for each asset is the price you pay. So there are no hidden costs or service charges you have to worry about when proceeding with your investment.
- When you pay, the company insures and dispatches your order via UPS. As I mentioned, you can also get your order delivered through USPS.
Colorado Gold Fees
In terms of fees and pricing, Colorado Gold has a variable annual cost, and their pricing is what wins over most of their customers. Even when I was going through their product pricing and fees, I was pleased to see their emphasis on being transparent and affordable, at most.
Moreover, since Colorado Gold buys precious metals for you from A-Mark Precious Metals, Inc., one of the world’s largest distributors, the company also charges a commission fee. This fee is based on your order value, ranging between the following:
- 1% fee for orders under $50,000
- 0.75% fee for orders over $50,000
- 0.5% fee for orders of $100,000 or more
It is worth noting that this commission fee also includes insured shipping of the precious metals you buy at your specified address.
Colorado Gold Rating on Consumer Review Sites
Consumer Protection Agency
Number of Reviews
Complaints in Past 12 Months
Better Business Bureau (BBB)
Pros & Cons
Colorado Gold is a sound investment partner for both beginner and experienced investors. They are a precious metals broker with decades of experience in the field. Their transparency for all their services and charges is simply a plus, making them a highly reliable investment company.
But despite all these praiseworthy factors, I also want to mention that there isn't much information available concerning actual customer comments and ratings for Colorado Gold. Even though they are BBB-accredited and have an excellent rating, no customer reviews or complaints are displayed.
Moreover, the company isn't even listed on BCA. From what I have learned over the years in this industry, customer reviews are ideal for further evaluating a company's performance. Without them, I believe there is still room for more research and careful consideration before you choose to invest with Colorado Gold. To find a precious metal company that has lots of positive customer reviews, please see my article here.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, Colorado Gold appears to be a legitimate company. It has been in business for nearly 40 years and has an A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau. Moreover, despite their limited reviews, there are no visible complaints about the company on BBB.
Yes, it does. Even if Colorado Gold does not sell the purchased items, the company buys them back from you at a 1% buyback fee.